Life Work Balance
As much as we live and breathe marketing at WJ, we also understand the importance of life outside of work. Employee Flex Days, variable work hours and the option of working from home are just a few ways WJ has embraced an adaptable work environment.
Learn & Deploy
No two days are ever the same at WJ and that’s just how we like it. Every day presents a new challenge that we tackle with passion, and with that challenge comes the chance to learn and grow.
Growth & Opportunity
We believe in long-term partnerships – not only with our clients, but with our employees as well. As WJ continues to grow, so do the opportunities.
- Web/Digital Developer Contractor - Calgary, AB
Developers will use their expertise and knowledge of the industry practices to perform various development tasks such as coding, app development and web development. Developers must be technically savvy with a flair for creativity and innovation. They need to be able to work in high-pressure environments and adhere to strict deadlines. Being a team player and having excellent communication skills also are important. The ideal candidate will demonstrate friendly and professional interpersonal skills, is self-motivated, highly organized, and above all passionate about everything to do with the web. We are looking for a learning individual, not afraid of working in a fast-work environment.
We all have a voice at William Joseph, and we are all expected to use it. We don’t let our egos get in the way of innovation. At William Joseph, everyone’s opinion matters, and idea generation is the most important product of our collaboration as a team.
Increases Efficiencies in the Creative Department and William Joseph
- Research and development with new technologies
- Ability to strongly contribute to a team atmosphere, while drawing from their individual experience and skills
- Ability to work efficiently to adhere to project deadlines
- Capable of creating high quality and well-tested code in a fast-paced agency environment
- Build websites that validate in both HTML and CSS according to World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standards
- Cross-browser and cross-platform testing
- Documenting code
Understanding Client Needs
- Delivering client training in written documentation and in person
- Consulting and providing recommendations where appropriate to enhance functionality of client projects
- Demonstrates incredible attention to detail, leaving no stone unturned to ensure that the client receives excellence in service and quality design, remaining within the predetermined scope and timelines set for a project
Maintains a Positive Influence as an Employee and Carries out General Duties
- Exemplifies the William Joseph Experience through day-to-day actions
- Formats all documents according to William Joseph brand standards
- Manages multiple projects and maintains tight timelines, often working around strict and sometimes sudden deadlines
- Demonstrates creative, dynamic, flexible approaches to problems and resolves issues in a timely and professional manner
- Supports other team members in a fast-paced, controlled chaotic environment, often working long hours and occasionally evenings or weekends to meet deadlines
- Logs all hours to Intervals daily
Proficiencies and Attributes
- Mobile Web, Responsive and Application Development
- Object Oriented Programming/Analysis/Design
- Working with client technologies PC/Mac, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Strong sense of project ownership and pride in finished work
- High attention to detail
- Desire to push the boundaries of our technology
- Highly passionate about the web and technology, and take pride in everything they work on, no matter how big or how small
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strongly organized and very professional
- Broad and extensive knowledge of the software development process and its technologies
- Strong knowledge of computer languages, such as Java, C++, PHP, and SQL
- Strong background in coding
- Strong knowledge of user interfaces, HTML technologies and web frameworks
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in computer science, web design certification, or equivalent work experience
- Depth knowledge of XHTML/CSS and PHP
- Experience with database technologies, particularly MySQL
- Experience with Content Management Systems, particularly WordPress and MODx
- Experience with database creation and maintenance
- Experience with developing mobile optimized websites and apps
- Creative Director Calgary, AB
William Joseph (WJ) is a full-service marketing agency that achieves results through sound strategic thinking and bold creative design. As a team, we are collaborative, open-minded, dually analytical and creative, and close-knit. We aim to live without ego, celebrate differences, and become better every day.
WJ is seeking a Design Director/Creative Director to join and lead our experienced design team. This role will be responsible for facilitating and ensuring the creation of exceptional design work.
The ideal candidate is a servant leader who believes in individual empowerment and who will work to help elevate and hone the unique perspectives and creative vision of other members of the creative team. The ideal candidate will also love acting as a working manager and will take on creative projects big and small. We are looking for the whole package: a bold, egoless creative talent who is an inspiring leader and a collaborative team member who empowers others. We also need a Director who is as comfortable designing a website or sales collateral as they are designing a comprehensive brand identity from the ground up.
These days, change is the only constant. To thrive, one needs to wake up every day excited by the potential for new challenges. While it is important to have all the skills we list below, the most important skill of all is the ability to motivate and inspire your team to reach ever higher levels of creativity and performance in a dynamic environment. WJ’s new Design Director should have a finger on the pulse of the industry. We are seeking a candidate who does not just elevate the design team to exciting new heights but helps evolve the agency itself as we execute on our five-year plan.
Meet Client Needs and Exceed Expectations
Empower the design team to do their best work, create exceptional design concepts in multiple mediums, and ensure excellence in the design work WJ delivers to clients.
- Develop creative solutions built upon a deep understanding of clients’ businesses, industry, audiences, marketing objectives and strategy
- Contribute extensively to the strategic direction of clients’ brands
- Create exceptional design concepts and clearly present those ideas to the team and the client
- Empower a multi-disciplined design team to do their best work, providing guidance to help them develop and hone their own vision for client work
- Collaborate with the team to maintain high standards for execution and attention to detail in every aspect of creative work
- Work with clients and the team to clearly understand the parameters and scope of each account and project
- Demonstrate incredible attention to detail, leaving no stone unturned to ensure that clients receive excellence in service and quality design, remaining within the predetermined scope and timelines set for a particular project
- Build strong relationships with clients and assist in deepening clients’ knowledge and understanding of marketing and design
- Act as a point of escalation for clients and internal team members alike
Drive the constant evolution of WJ’s client work and the agency as a whole.
- Work with the CEO, Directors, and the rest of the WJ team to set and calibrate the vision and direction for design services in the agency and advise on trends in design, including identifying opportunities to improve or add to WJ’s design offerings
- Look tirelessly for innovative news ways to improve client work and spearhead the continuous development of WJ’s design techniques
- Nurture the agency’s culture and set high expectations to deliver bold, effective, integrated work
- Work with Directors and the rest of the team to improve and streamline processes wherever possible
- Develop and maintain standards, deliverables, templates, and policies that ensure excellent client work
- Proactively anticipate workforce needs and work with the Directors to secure needed capacity, through hiring and partnership development
- Maintain immersion in new media trends and marketing industry trends
Manage, Motivate and Develop Team
Manage, motivate, and develop the design team.
- Coach and mentor design team
- Ensure all processes and procedures involving design are upheld
- Work with CMAs and traffic managers to appropriately assign projects; follows up with staff to ensure smooth workflow and that timelines and budgets are being met
- Build and develop a best-in-class team that is passionate, energized, and motivated to succeed
- Lead the hiring of all design staff
- Break silos between teams
- Set an inspiring, positive, and empowering leadership tone for the design team
- Establish and maintain a positive office environment and nurture a culture of mutual respect, transparency, empowerment, accountability and creativity
- Work with Directors and others in WJ to address performance issues in a timely, professional, and effective manner
- Develop members of the design team, helping them to become relatively independent and capable art directors in their own right
- Lead design reviews
- Work to improve team’s knowledge of design and general industry trends
- Lead culture of real-time feedback to support people’s development
- Provide constructive feedback to staff in a sensitive and motivating way
- Evaluate direct reports at the end of probationary period
- Evaluate direct reports annually for annual review
- Identify development opportunities for staff to ensure that WJ utilizes innovative design and creative concepts
Maintain a Positive Influence as an Employee and Carry Out General Duties
Exemplify the William Joseph experience through day-to-day actions.
- Manage multiple projects and maintain tight timelines, often working around strict and sometimes sudden deadlines
- Demonstrate creative, dynamic, flexible approaches to problems and resolve issues in a timely and professional manner
- Support other team members in a fast-paced, controlled chaotic environment, sometimes working longer hours and occasionally evenings or weekends to meet deadlines
- Log all hours to Intervals
- Other duties as required
William Joseph Ambassador
Represent William Joseph externally.
- Act as a company advocate and embody WJ values
- Effectively represent the WJ culture and act as the ambassador of the creative team at client social events, speaking engagements, and other affairs deemed important by the marketing strategy and CEO
- Create and host seminars
- Attend business development meetings and support sales at William Joseph
- Speak publicly as one of the designated “storytellers” for WJ and its brand
- Build and leverage an effective network of design professionals inside and outside the firm to support future growth
Proficiencies and Attributes
- Professional, diplomatic, and good judgement
- Excellent leadership abilities and interpersonal skills
- A servant leadership philosophy
- Dually analytical and creative
- An ability to guide without directing
- Ability to build long-term client relationships and create an exceptional client experience
- Experience with creating new ideas and solutions and applying existing ideas in new ways to solve business problems
- Highly motivated, flexible, and decisive
- Excellent communication skills, including written communications, speaking and presentation development and delivery
- Desire to push the boundaries of current offerings
- Highly passionate about design, taking pride in project, no matter how big or how small
- Broad and extensive knowledge of new and traditional media design, weighted towards new media
- Experience with user centered design techniques and a willingness and ability to improve WJ’s capabilities in this area
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, and Adobe XD
- Knowledge of digital illustration, video production, space branding, experience marketing, and copywriting are considered an asset
- Ability to articulate technical creative ideas to laymen and present a strong rationale for decisions
- Strong understanding of adjacent areas of digital marketing, including but not limited to coding, SEO, digital advertising, etc.
- Proficiency designing in Keynote and PowerPoint considered an asset
- Art degree or equivalent combination of experience and instruction
- 6+ years of related industry experience in new media, including website design, UX, UI, information architecture, interactive experience design, digital advertising, and/or motion graphics
- 6+ years of experience in visual brand identity development, corporate design, advertising design and/or publications design
- All backgrounds will be considered and weighted against the needs of the agency with a preference for new media and brand development experience
- Excellent design portfolio in the above areas
- Management experience and experience working in a collaborative cross-functional team is a must
- Digital Media Coordinator Calgary, AB
William Joseph (WJ) has an opportunity available for a Digital Media Coordinator to join our team deploying, reporting, and managing the digital media elements supporting both William Joseph and our clients’ marketing strategies. Reporting to the Digital Director, the Digital Media Coordinator will collaborate with the WJ Creative department, WJ Social Media team and WJ Client Managers on digital advertising campaigns including social media coordination activities on social media platforms and other paid media networks. The successful candidate will have integrated digital marketing knowledge, a sharp aptitude for learning and information retention, a strategic mindset, a strong multi-dimensional skillset to be successful in this role, and most of all, a drive to continually hone campaign performance, leaving no stone unturned to ensure client success.
We all have a voice at WJ, and we are all expected to use it. We don’t let our egos get in the way of innovation. At WJ, everyone’s opinion matters, and idea generation is the most important product of our collaboration as a team.
The William Joseph team is made up of experienced marketers who are passionate about building bridges between our client’s business goals and transformative marketing solutions. Clients enthusiastically choose us because we understand their needs and provide them with fresh thinking, leading to impactful results. As a team, we are collaborative, open-minded, and close-knit. And believe it or not – we actually enjoy each other’s company!
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Guided by digital advertising and social media strategies, your core responsibilities will include:
- Define and monitor digital media KPI’s
- Collaborate with copywriters and designers to ensure all content is accurate for the campaign objectives
- Deployment of digital advertising and social media content (paid + organic)
- Measure the success of campaigns and create historical reports as needed
- Stay knowledgeable and up to date with digital media best practices and technology while maintaining them for the organization
- Derive insights from data and use them to create and refine strategies to drive client success.
- Use project planning and marketing tools including but not limited to Hootsuite and Falcon
- Use platforms including but not limited to Google Ad Network, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Flag opportunities for cross-collaboration with influencers and affiliates
- Maintain content organization set out by the department
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Previous experience in a similar role with demonstrated success (2-3 years)
- Well organized with a keen eye for detail and the ability to identify, analyze and solve technical and theoretical problems
- Proficiency in digital ad platforms including Google Ads, Facebook Ads Manager, and LinkedIn Campaign Manager
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with multiple teams
- Able to work independently in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision and can manage multiple projects at the same time
- Advanced writing and grammatical proficiency
- REPORTING AND ABILITY TO DRAW INSIGHTS
- Passionate about creating great work and have incredible attention to detail
- Strong focus setting and accomplishing priorities
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Takes pride in their work and respects the responsibilities and time of others
- Knows how to maintain a work life balance that works for them and the business
- Lead by example on and off duty
- Passionate about the marketing industry
- Easily build rapport
- High personal and business ethics driven by an authentic and caring personality
- Take ownership of duties, show initiative, proactive and learns from mistakes
- Naturally positive attitude
- Possess good judgment and problem-solving mindset
- Tactful, uses discretion and keeps confidential information secure
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume and cover letter outlining your relevant experience and qualifications. William Joseph (WJ) is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing opportunities for all to succeed; we thank all applicants for their interest in this position however, only those who most closely match WJ’s requirements will be contacted.
All applicant information submitted will be reviewed by the WJ and will remain in strict confidence. This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.